Senior Software Engineer
Ben played an essential role in helping our language expansion launch, and more generally, setting up our language expansion programs to be stable as Airbnb continues to grow. I thought he demonstrated an incredible amount of tenacity in managing our mobile app and web releases, helping to lead and arrange meetings to keep stakeholders informed, to filling in gaps in the team’s staffing and resourcing to make the release possible. --Stephanie Teng
- Architect, build, launch, and operate internationalization (i18n) platform microservices at Airbnb.
- Provide critical input in cross-functional prioritization, planning, and decision making.
- Launched support for 31 new locales for web and mobile in 2019 Q4.
- Owner of high throughput, highly available backend service which provides all translatable UI strings to Airbnb backend and frontend services. Provide integrations across platforms in Java, Ruby, Kotlin, Swift, and Typescript leveraging Apache Thrift.
- Informal “tech lead.” Mentor other engineers on the team, lead with system design and architecture, serve as an escalation point of contact for on-call issues.
- Contribute to design of SWE interview questions and on-board new engineers as presenter of Internationalization Engineering "Bootcamp" training.
CTO & Co-founder (YC W15)
Underground Enterprises Inc. 2015-2019. San Francisco, CA
- Built the website and core e-commerce platform, and proprietary "upgrade" algorithm from scratch.
- Led all aspects of technology: hiring, budget, product, specification, data science, dev-ops, and UX design.
- Architected and implemented serverless microservices on AWS and Azure.
- Led patent and intellectual property strategy, development, and execution.
- Serve as Board Director, working with the CEO, CFO, major investors, and general counsel.
- Prepared cohort analysis, data models, and projections to support investor requests.
- Design and implement security and privacy processes, resulting in 0 breaches from 2013 to present.
- Implemented proprietary, back-end integration with fulfillment software utilizing OpenCV to match wine labels to inventory, enabling >99% pick accuracy rate.
- Technologies used include: Node.js, Azure, AWS, PostgreSQL, C#, React.js, Typescript, Java.
Microsoft. Windows Server Planning/Mgmt, 2011-2015. Redmond, WA
If Xumin is the sheriff, then Ben is the US Marshal -- he's hunted down and removed more blocking issues than I can even count. He's taken us from nothing to where we are today. If we want to connect with some group inside Microsoft, Ben knows who to talk to and who to have put down. --Garrett Serack
- Leader of “MinWin” cross-functional initiative (influencing software engineers, business leaders, planners, designers, and content teams). Reduced Windows core disk footprint >35% (from 14 → 9 GB), and reboots due to OS updates by over 50%, resulting in Windows Nano OS.
- Co-invented PXE based solution to slipstream OS images to bare metal servers to provision OS on first boot, without needing a reboot, resulting in 2X improved provisioning time for Azure servers.
- Shipped MinWin-based hardware solutions prior to launch of Windows Nano OS as a standalone product. Liaison for >20 Microsoft "Most valuable professionals" and strategic partners/manufacturers such as Dell F5 Networks, and Netapp to integrate technical needs of partners into the Windows Server OS roadmap.
- Presented 9x at conferences worldwide including TechEd, TechReady, and Microsoft Global MVP Summit. Wrote and published monthly on Microsoft’s Server Core and WSUS blogs.
- Delivered on time, on budget, other major features for Windows including Server Core, Windows Server Update Services, and Windows Update for Business. Wrote production code in C++ and C# which ships as part of Windows.
- Founded the PowerShell OneGet initiative, which unifies package management across machines and different operating systems (initial release was with Windows 10).
Head TA and Teaching Assistant, Brown University, 2008-2011, Providence, RI
- Hired and managed team of 10 TAs as Head TA for Introduction to Software Engineering (CSCI0320) (Java, C, C++, Systems Engineering, sockets, file systems, multi-threading, spatial data structures)
- Hired and led team of 7 TAs as Head TA for upper level computer graphics course which included Masters and PhD students (C++, GLSL, 2D and 3D rendering techniques);
- Credited contributor in the textbook: Computer Graphics, Principles and Practice (3rd edition), Andries van Dam, John Hughes, et. al.
- Hired and led 3 TAs as Head TA for Programming with Data Structures and Algorithms (CSCI0190, Professor Steven Reiss, fall 2008), contributed extensively to building new course materials in the course’s second year of existence.
Chief Technology Officer, Madison Tape, LLC., 2007, Morristown, NJ
Co-founded with a former CEO of a Fortune 500 company. Designed and implemented the company's web and other technology, including an online system for designing and ordering customized athletic tape, business software, and managed corporate IT resources. The company was acquired in 2007.